Film Review: Argo

Argo (Ben Affleck, 2012)

Ben Affleck in Argo
The film Argo is based on a declassified true story. It dramatizes the events involving the clandestine repatriation of 6 American Embassy workers trapped in a turmoil in Iran in 1979. The secret operation was staged by CIA and Canada in a seriously funny way.

There's a lot of things that I admire about the film. It's not an action film but it's cardiac. In fact, much better than most action films I've seen. Kudos to the writing and editing. In the last 10 to 15 minutes I was at the edge of my seat in the almost empty movie house. This is a true story so I know how it will end, but the way it is told in film syntax is excellent. 

The film, I suppose, is homage to Star Wars (George Lucas). For you people who have seen Hidden Fortress (Akira Kurosawa, 1958) should know what I mean - the manner by which the trapped workers were smuggled from the turmoil (although that's really how it happened) as shown in the film is very Hidden Fortress, which is the inspiration of Star Wars. And the execution is really praise-worthy.

This is an excellent film. So far, Ben Affleck has a good track record in directing. He directed The Town (2010) and Gone Baby Gone (2007).

Rating: 4.0/4.0




Comments

Popular Posts