Andre Gide: STRAIT IS THE GATE

Strait is the Gate is a confusing story of sacrifice. It's not that the story is confusing. I just cannot actually fully understand the motivation of one character's sacrificing her love to the point of being a martyr. Is it religion? I'm not sure. I don't judge her but I think it's too much. What happened to her she certainly deserved. Maybe it's meant to be written that way.

In this book, the author writes in a style (I don't know what it is called) that, in my opinion, is effective in the character development of the two main and some supporting characters. Ambivalence, despair, sacrifice, and death as felt or experienced by the characters are written using this style so that anyone reading the book may feel the same. Maybe it's just me.

Rating: 3.5/5.0

Comments

Popular Posts