Film Review: The Sign of Leo

The Sign of Leo (Eric Rohmer, 1959)
In French, with English subtitles

The film chronicles the descent into despondency (or, is it destitution) of an American in Paris who strongly believes in astrology. At the start of the film, he's shown throwing parties with his small circle of friends using borrowed money. He believes he'll inherit money and some properties from a wealthy aunt, who just died. That, according to him, is what his birth sign suggests. But, something unexpected happens. 

The film is in black-and-white cinematography. I can't imagine this film in color and give me the same film experience as I had when I was watching it in black-and-white. I thought some of the numerous scenes depicting his descent into despondency were unnecessary. But, something happened in the last 10 minutes of the film, which I think, was clever. Then, I was convinced that all those scenes were really necessary. How the films ends is a little disturbing.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Comments

Unknown said…
I can't wait to see this film.

Popular Posts