Film Review: 13 Assassins

13 Assassins (Takashi Miike, 2009)
In Japanese, with English subtitles

Why does this film remind me of Seven Samurai? Anyone who saw the Akira Kurosawa classic will agree with me. But don't get me wrong, this film is not a copycat. This film may not be as great as Seven Samurai, however, it has its own flashes of genius. It is spectacular and truly epic.
In the film, thirteen samurais (mostly unemployed or masterless) are gathered to plot the assassination of the abusive younger brother of the shogun. The result is the bloodiest and dirtiest confrotation (i've seen on film) between the assassins and the soldiers that protect the younger brother of the shogun.
I never expected this film to be this good. I like it very much.
Rating: 4.0/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts