Film Review: Pieta

PIETA (Kim Ki-Duk, 2012)
In Korean, with English subtitles

Synopsis from (IMDB): A loan shark is forced to reconsider his violent lifestyle after the arrival of a mysterious woman claiming to be his long-lost mother.

The writing of this film is almost impeccable. I like the build-up of events (and character) that leads to the conclusion despite some mystery that I think the writer leaves out for the audience to figure out. Watching it, I had to remind myself that the film was directed by Kim Ki-Duk. I had a chance to see some of his films before. Watching his films is not easy, but not that the films are incomprehensible. Some scenes are easy to watch.

The lead actress delivered a brilliant performance that will be remembered. The film won the top prize in this year's Venice Film Festival and is the South Korea's entry to the Best Foreign Language Film category of this year's Academy Awards.

Rating: 4.0/4.0


Comments

Popular Posts