Movie No. 19 (2013): LES MISERABLES

Les Miserables (2012)
Director: Tom Hooper
Cast: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway

I haven't read the book yet, so until now I have no idea on some details of some significant turns of events in the  world-renowned classic Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I only have a picture of the story in my mind based on the musical and then on the Tom Hooper's film. I have to be contented based on what I know from the musical. And I'm going to review the film based on this.

Overall, the film is okay. It's almost spectacular. It starts with an impressive opening which is sustained up to some latter parts but drags in some. There's one particular scene that, for me, is unnecessary - the focusing of Fantine's face (from shoulder up) while she sings "I Dreamed A Dream." Yes, the whole song! What's the director's point here? I don't know. Did I get impatient? I wasn't sure. But, I give Anne Hathaway credit for a heartfelt outing in this scene. She did great overall.

I commend the film for its production value. Most of the actors did well. I have to give special mention to Eddie Redmayne (Marius) and Samantha Barks (Eponine). Rusell Crowe (Javert) is okay, but not great. And Hugh Jackman? They say he'll be the only actor that can beat Daniel Day-Lewis (Lincoln) in the Best Actor race. I don't think so. But he did great, too, but not perfectly.

Date seen: January 18, 2013

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts