Movie No. 49 (2013): ANGELS & DEMONS

Angels & Demons (2009)
Director: Ron Howard
Cast: Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Stellan Skasgard

I didn't feel the urgency to see this film despite everyone was gaga over the book and the film adaptation some years back. I didn't even know what it's about. It's also a good thing I didn't read the book; otherwise ,I'd be bored from start to end of the film. It made me admire the twist in the end as well as the scenes leading toward the climax. But my main problem with this film is that I didn't feel that the characters have this sense of urgency in stopping the terrorist threat. When they should be racing against time, they spend more time in diverging actions. Maybe it's a failure in script or editing. There are scenes that just don't convince me would possibly happen unnoticed: for example, that scene where the last cardinal is to be dropped in the pond in  very public place. And a lone assassin can do all those killings in a short span of time? Ridiculous.

But I still find the movie entertaining. It's production design or art direction is its main strength. I think Tom Hanks is miscast.

Date seen: February 17, 2013

Rating: 2.0/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts