Movie No. 62 (2013): ASHES AND DIAMONDS

Ashes and Diamonds (1958)
Director: Andrzej Wajda
Cast: Zbigniew Cybulski, Waclaw Zastrzezynski
In Polish, with English subtitles


The central character in this film is Maciek, a young member of the Polish home resistance against the communists. At the start of the film, he is shown lying on the grass as if in a picnic. He's with a friend, who turns out to be a comrade in the resistance. In the backdrop is an old chapel, locked. We will learn later that they're to ambush a newly-installed officer of the communist rule in the region. They will kill the wrong man (or men).

At this point I'd like to say I just saw I great film. It' not only a great film of this genre or kind but a great film in general. The premise is simple but it doesn't matter. I'm more interested in the character or characters in this film that I care about. There are many great scenes that you may miss if you're not paying attention. I find such scenes so poetic. Some that I can remember are the opening and closing scenes, the lighting of the vodka in several glasses at the bar and the 'confession' in a ruined church with the inverted crucifix in the background. The metaphors of the the old chapel, white horse, violets, and the sunglasses that Maciek wears in most of the scenes are to note, too.

Date seen: March 24, 2013

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Comments

Popular Posts