Movie No. 63 (2013): COUP DE GRACE

Coup De Grace (1976)
Director: Volker Schlondorff
Cast: Margarether von Trotta, Matthias Habich
In German, with English subtitles


The backdrop of the film is the Russian Civil War, which I have absolutely little knowledge about. But it doesn't matter because, like in the other films of this kind that I saw, the characters are more important. Central in the story is the unrequited love of a countess to a Prussian officer, her brother's comrade. This will result in an unexpected tragic (or, I should say, shocking) ending.

It is the political and sexual undertones of the film that make the film interesting. The copy that I saw had some scenes which were grainy. This had affected my viewing experience. But the movie is worth seeing.

Rating: 3.5/4.0

Date seen: March 25, 2013


Comments

Popular Posts