Movie No. 131 (2013): MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Animation from Studio Ghibli (In Japanese, with English subtitles)


This is my second viewing of this film. The first time, if I remember it right, was 10 or 11 years ago. I remember liking it very much then and that's the reason I decided to see it again. I already forgot most part although there's a lot of scenes that stayed in my head, but not coherently arranged to weave a story.

The film is an animation made the traditional way - hand drawn. And that's a good thing. That's a respite from the CGIs that have been proliferating for almost two decades now. My Neighbor Totoro has a very simple story line that's very appropriate for a children's movie. Innocence and family are central to the film's story. I actually wished I saw it when I was a kid. It would have made a greater impact on me. But, even if I was already in my early 30's when I first saw it, I was in complete awe of it's simplicity. This is a kind of film that has no conflict. There are no twists. There is no villain. There is no impending doom. The main characters are two playful kids, which are sisters who befriend a gentle giant of a lovable creature (Totoro) that only they can see.

I don't want to go on describing the film and what I feel about. It is simply great. It's a kind of film that will mostly be enjoyed by children. And some of these children when they grow up may not outgrow it, just like Winnie The Pooh. 

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: July 14, 2013


Comments

Popular Posts