Movie No. 140. Cinemalaya 2013: PUROK 7

Purok 7 (2013)
Director: Carlo Obispo
Cast: Khrystle Valentino, Miggs Cuaderno, Arnold Reyes, Angeli Bayani, Julian Trono

Synopsis: The film follows Diana and her younger brother as they strive to relieve their longing for a family.

Let me say that this is one of the best films in this year's batch of Cinemalaya films. In fact, one of the best that came out Cinemalaya.

In most scenes, I actually cried or, at least cried. There were some other moments where I tried to hold back tears. Why? The film reminds me of Grave of The Fireflies, one of my favorite films of all time. Both Grave and Purok 7 follow the lives of two siblings as they try to survive everyday while longing for a family despite odds. I have to make it a point that Purok 7 does not deliberately plant scenes to give the audience some cues to cry. In my case, I cried because I could feel the loneliness and longing of the siblings. That means effective effective script and direction.

The film also effective portrays innocence. The film is so humane in portraying Diana as an adolescent girl who is experiencing 'puppy love' despite the dire circumstance she and her younger brother face. The film is a rare gem!

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: July 29, 2013

Comments

Popular Posts