Movie No. 38 (2015): WOMAN IN GOLD

Woman In Gold (2015)
Director: Simon Curtis
Cast: Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, Katie Holmes, Daniel Bruhl

I didn't know anything about the movie. It's in the the list of the movies to chose from (on board) during my long flight to NY. But it was on my way back to Incheon (from NY) that I eagerly played and saw it after gathering some information about the non-fictional story from which the movie was based. The fact that Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds are lead cast also help tickle my interest to see it.

This David-and-Goliath-type movie about a woman (Helen Mirren) who seeks justice for her family who suffered under the Nazis during the Holocaust. She's most keen on retrieving some precious paintings, particularly the "Woman In Gold," upon knowing through her sister's old letters that their aunt, who's the model of the woman in gold, specifies in her will that she'll inherit the paintings. She and her lawyer (Ryan Reynolds) have to face obstacles in this journey.

I really don't understand some critics' note that the movie offers no surprises. In my opinion, how can there be surprises when the narrative is based on a real event? The movie is not without flaw. There are lapses in the script. Editing is forgivable. But, I don't have negative things to say about Helen Mirren's performance. Ryan Reynolds needs a little improvement. But, overall, the movie is very entertaining.

Rating: 3.0/4.0

Date seen: July 26, 2015

Comments

Popular Posts