Touchy

Just to make sure I looked up the meaning of touchy from Merriam-Webster. I was right. It's still the same definition that our high school teacher taught us.

Touchy (adj.): marked by readiness to take offense on slight provocation.

A lot of people that I know (or have interacted with) use the word to describe a person who physically touches others as he is wont to do, like a boy to his girlfriend or a girl to her boyfriend. Think of the hands' busyness during a couple's PDA (public display of affection).

Now, for the main purpose of writing this random thought.

Let me say, Filipinos are so touchy. You may not agree with me. In fact, I worry that some may take this as another provocation. But, let me enumerate some media events that elicited the ire of our touchy compatriots. We hated Claire Danes for airing her observations about filth in the streets and people with no feet that she saw while filming in Manila. Do you remember Teri Hatcher's dialogue in Grey's Anatomy, commenting on some medical schools in the Philippines? How about Lucy Liu's comparing her (burnt) skin color to that of our skin's? And then Manny Pacquiao lost his last two fights to the delight of the Mexicans, but some of us took it personally; some even digitally attacked and bullied Justin Bieber just because he's not a Pacquiao fan.

Pikon, that's what I mean. Some of us just can't handle the truth.

Comments

Popular Posts