The Voice of the Gulp Generation

While waiting for my turn to pay at the cashier in a convenience store, I looked around and observed the people inside. It was a few minutes before midnight. I was the sixth in the queue. Other than the queue, there were only this group of friends, probably students, near the cold drinks dispenser, sharing delirious superlatives about one presidential candidate. The conversation was akin that of friends who would describe or relive scenes from the a movie that all of them saw. They were so loud that I could hear practically everything that they were talking about. When they mentioned the name of a popular presidential candidate, they got my attention. I eavesdropped. Here's the transcript of their conversation:

Friend 1: How many cups have you bought so far?

Friend 2: I can't remember. But I've been frequenting this convenience store almost everyday since they launched this "Voice of the Gulp Generation Campaign."

Friend 1: And all the time you're choosing that candidate's cup.

Friend 2: Yes.

Friend 3: So, you're just like a flying voter.

Friend 2: I'm just showing my support.

Friend 1: Do you really believe he'll do well if he becomes president?

Friend 2: That what he says. I trust him. My parents like him, too.

Friend 3: But all candidates say that, too.

Friend 2: Yes. But, see who leads in the Voice of Gulp Generation Survey? My candidate. That means other people like him, too.

Friend 1, to Friend 3: Who's your candidate?

Friend 3: I'm not interested. I don't care. I'm not registered.

Friend 1: I haven't decided yet.

Friend 2: Okay, I'll buy you drinks as long as you use my candidate's cups.

Friend 1: Really. Okay, I want two cups. Two flavors.

Friend 3: Buy us drink everyday so your candidate wins this survey.

Friend 2: 'tangina 'nyo, abusado kayo ha. (I didn't translate this. It looks good in this language.)

Then it was my turn at the cashier. 

"Sir."

I got confused. It took me a little while to realize I was supposed to pay for something. I recalled going there to buy water. But, I went straight to the queue instead of getting the bottled water first.

At this point, one of the super friends (Friend 2) was next to me in the queue. I gave up my turn so he could pay for his friends' drinks while I left the queue to get water from the display refrigerator. 






Comments

Popular Posts