Movie No. 24 (2016): PROMISE ME THIS

Promise Me This (a.k.a. Zavet) (2007)
Director: Emir Kusturica
Cast: Uros Milovanovic, Marija Petronijevic, Miki Manojlovic
In Serbian, with English subtitles


I saw some movies directed by Emir Kusturica before. I generally liked them all, especially the Palm D'Or winner Underground.  But, Promise Me This, for me, is too absurd. There may be more to it than meets the eye, but I can't figure it out. If I take it as comedy - a slapstick kind - I just can't laugh at some scenes which, I think, are contrived and crass. I may not like the movie in general but there's one particular scene that I think is genius and metaphoric (or maybe sarcastic), but insightful - the wedding procession and funeral march "head-on collision" on the dirt road.

Rating: 1.50/4.0

Date seen: May 1, 2016


Comments

Popular Posts