Movie No. 41 (2017): THE EXORCIST

The Exorcist (1973)
Director: William Friedkin
Cast: Ellen Burstyn, Max Von Sydow, Jason Miller, Linda Blair

I saw the VHS copy of the movie only in late 1990s. I saw it alone, so it really did me give real scare that would stay in my head for a few days. Or weeks. Then, between that time and last month, I got that chance to see the movie again in parts on cable TV in many instances. 

I saw The Exorcist again in full for the second time only last month. It was showing on cable TV. 

The Exorcist is one of the best examples of escapist cinema. While this is true, the movie's greatness lies in the artful execution of the narrative. It even dares to leave questions to disturb one's consciousness, whether one believes that the girl is just afflicted with a strange disease of the nervous system or that she really is possessed by the devil. The cinematography is sinister and is well-composed to suggest bleakness. And I have to specially note the superb performances of the actors who played as the exorcist, the priest (Max Von Sydow), and mother (Ellen Burstyn) of the afflicted or possessed 12-year old girl.

I still believe that The Exorcist is the scariest film of all time. It's the experience of seeing it that makes it really unforgettable.

Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: July 2, 2017



Comments

Popular Posts