Movie No. 60 (2017): MOONLIGHT

Moonlight (2016)
Director: Barry Jenkins
Cast: Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris, Janelle Monae, Ashton Sanders, Trevante Rhodes

The movie is a portrait of young (black) man in search of his identity. It's told in three "chapters," each of which focusing on a phase of his life - as a child, as a teenager, as an adult. Generally, the movie is good, sometimes haunting. Performances are outstanding. But, for it to be called monumental or masterpiece, in my opinion, is an exaggeration. 

In the three of four times of trying to see it during the weeks leading to Academy Awards ceremonies early this year, I would doze off within the first 10 or 20 minutes. I was indifferent despite the praises the movie received. But, yesterday I managed to finish it. I'm glad I got to see its so-called genius. 

Rating: 3.0/4.0

Date seen: August 26, 2017

Comments

Popular Posts