Movie No. 79 (2017): THE SECRET SCRIPTURE

The Secret Scripture (2016)
Director: Jim Sheridan
Cast: Rooney Mara, Vanessa Redgrave, Eric Bana

I got lured into watching the movie for three reasons. First, Jim Sheridan. He made some movies that, in my opinion, are great and unforgettable, such as My Left Foot, In The Name of the Father, and In America. He has a share of some forgettable movies, too. Second, the material. I read the Sebastian Barry's book, The Secret Scripture, some years back. But, I stopped, or simply forgot to finish it, almost halfway through the book. I don't remember why. But, I remember to have been intrigued by the book based on how far I got through it. Third, Vanessa Redgrave and Rooney Mara, who I consider dependable actors.

The movie, however, looks like a daytime TV soap opera. Too melodramatic and overly sentimental. Yes, the narrative is clear despite the tedious flashbacks. But, at some point, I got bored. The movie doesn't have the capability to hold attention. I suspect a failure in writing. Even Vanessa Redgrave's acting prowess or Rooney Mara's effort is sidelined because it's the faults that we see first.

Rating: 2.0/4.0

Date seen: November 26, 2017

Comments

Popular Posts