Movie No. 12 (2018): THE SQUARE

The Square (2017)
Director: Robert Ostlund
Cast: Claes Bang, Dominic West, Elisabeth Moss
In Swedish, with English subtitles


Christian, a curator of a museum for contemporary art, is preparing for his next show - The Square. His phone gets robbed. A one-night stand encounter becomes a burden. An unexpected online campaign for the show becomes controversial. A creative way to get his phone back creates a ghost that haunts him. In other word, a crisis. 

I don't want to go into details. 

I like the irony. I like the metaphor. I like the close look at a microcosm. I like the narrative flow. I like the humor. I like the occasional absurdity. I like the performances. I may not get everything that the movie conveys, but I like it just the same. 

I like the conclusion. 

Winner of Palm D'or, Cannes Film Festival 2017.


Rating: 4.0/4.0

Date seen: February 24, 2018


Comments

Popular Posts